Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Horse won't put weight on rear hoof.

Thanks

HELP! Horse won't put weight on rear hoof.

Last night my horses were rough housing after a rain storm. This morning we went out to find a fence & gate laid onto the lawn, and one of our horses limping. I did take a video of him limping, see below. He wont put weight on his right rear hoof. He will use the toe, but will not put weight on the heel. I've tried feeling up and down his leg for heat or swelling and didn't see anything (although I'm not too keen on detecting these things, so it doesn't mean it wasn't there, I just didn't detect any).
    Our farrier will be out this afternoon to check it out, and after his suggestions, we will call out the vet. I just want some advice in the meantime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlVuWS4lFTQ
    - I know it's kind of hard to see... I wish my hubby would have walked him slower. :/

Thanks

Poor guy Ace he is a very nice looking horse, I don't see any outward wounds or signs on his legs either. I think you are right to call your farrier out as he is not putting weight on his heal. Is there any heat in his hoof at all?
    Could he have stepped on a nail or screw from the downed fence or gate? While he may not have hurt himself knocking over the fence and gate, it is very possible he stepped on it after it was knocked down and shoved a nail, screw or even just a sliver in the soft part of his hoof or frog near the heal. A rusty nail would be hard to see. Have you tried washing, cleaning or picking out his hoof at all. Of course you can wait for the farrier and mention it to him so he can look for a foriegn object as well. But it may take a X-ray to see.

Thanks

Thank you! Ace is my daughter's horse and an amazing part of our family.
    I put my palm on the hoof wall and felt some heat, but it was similiar to the heat in the other rear hoof, so I wrote it off as probably nothing.
    I also picked his hoof and didn't find any foreign objects. We hosed it out and got it as clean as possible. Possibly, something might have stabbed the hoof? I didn't see any really noticable holes or scrapes, but then again I wasn't really looking for any. That's something I'll definitely mention to the farrier.
    His legs look clean of any wounds or swelling.

Because it had just finished raining and they were 'horse-playing' I'm afraid he might have slipped and twisted something. But then again his heal is what seems to bother him. Do you think it could be an injury due to slipping?

Ugh, I hate not having the peace of mind, of knowing what exactly the issue is. :unsure:

Thanks

OH I know that feeling :S silly horses, sometimes I wish they could talk and tell us what happened. It could be anything that you mentioned.
    Make sure to update and let me know how it went with the farrier.

Thanks

Last November something similar happened to my mare. I'm not sure if she slipped and fell on ice or what, but she wouldn't put weight on her left hind hoof, and I couldn't find anything in her hoof that would have been a problem. It felt warm, but no warmer than the other one, and when I had a girl who works for a vet come out and look at it, she said it was probable just a pulled muscle or something that might have happened had she fallen, and to watch it for the next several days. If it wasn't showing any improvement after about a week I could consider x-rays to see if there was any fracture. I know just how you feel... When this happened she seemed to be in pain, and when she backed up, her hind legs looked like they were about to buckle. I wished she could tell me how she felt so I could do more to help. Fortunately it turned out to be something that over time improved so that after 2 weeks approx. she was doing fine again. However, I do think it was a result of slipping on some ice outside. I hope that this is nothing serious, and you get it resolved quickly. It sounds like you're doing the right things...Good luck!
    My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder
    He carries me away from all my fears.
    And when the world threatens to fall asunder
    His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
    ~Bonnie Lewis

Thanks

I am dealing with this just yesterday. It has been raining a lot and I am guessing she just slipped but she is limping too.. My husband said that she probably will be fine (like estherj92 said) after a week . I am doing water therapy on her though, which she seems to like it so hoping it is helping her. I hope your horse is feeling better soon.

Thanks

What a coincidence! Diana slipped and fell in the mud of our barnyard (it had been raining a lot here too,) and is was walking stiffly for awhile...she's doing better now though. It was all due to her trying to trot in the mud. :dry:
    ~Bonnie Lewis

Thanks

my tb is walking on his front left toe after hehawing around with his buddy after the rain..seems some major rocks and stones surfaced in the heavy down fall and the farrier said hes got some real good stone bruses.said it will be a week or so before it heels
    walk softly in his hoof prints

Thanks

Hope he heals up quickly.
    ~Bonnie Lewis

Thanks

I hope the original poster come back to give us and update :dry: