Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegetables for horses?

Thanks

Vegetables for horses?

Okay. I posted this on the old forum...my cousin processes wheat grass, carrots, beets, kale, and celery every morning and gives her horses the pulp.

Does anyone else do this? I thought I read somewhere that kale wasn't good for horses? I tried this using everything but kale and Sunni ate everything (he kind of pushed some of it around for a while)...but I think he liked the moisture in all of it...

Just wondering. I'm also getting him used to dates as we have a LOT of them here in the desert and I figured that SOMEDAY that might be useful for him...

Thanks

Re:Vegetables for horses?

I've never heard anything bad about giving them veggies. After all, they eat vegetable matter exclusively. I don't really know what kale is, but if your horse likes veggies and eats them, give 'em to him. I know a lot of trainers use carrots as treats, so you may want to try that. I think, though, that since horses eat only some form of vegetable matter that feeding them the ones we prefer shouldn't have any ill effects on our fuzzy friends. If he seems to push the pulp around a lot, I would suggest giving him the whole veggie instead of the mush. If you have more in depth questions about what veggies are good for them, I can look up some sites that might be helpful and post the links here. I need t figure out links here anyway.

LW

Thanks

Oh, hey! That would be cool! I'm a newbie here, and he is my first horse (I'm TRYING not to spoil him!)...I'm sure that others could find that info useful, too.
    Thanks for the offer!

Thanks

I've found some links for horse nutrition articles that may be helpful. Since you're right, and a lot of others may want to see these, I'm going to start a new thread for the links.

LW

Thanks

hello all...
    horses by nature eat grass's and not a lot of vegetables lol . I'm sure it wont hurt them i know mine have made a mess of the vegitable patch a time or two wit no ill effects . the best thing for them is a good quality of hay and i supplement with a complete feed like nutreena safe choice to make sure they are getting all the necessary vitamins

chris
    ps: for treats i use gingersnap cookies

Thanks

Lethal_White wrote:
    horses by nature eat grass's and not a lot of vegetables
    Nothing like good old common sense

Thanks

only veggie I'v heard of that has no real value for the horse is a potato

Thanks

Not that I'm giving vegtables to Gabi, but on there is a point there. On nature horses don't eat too much vegtables...
    The general idea of 'try to be natural' works quite good on many subject.

Thanks

Some horses will eat just about anything, but whenever feeding something new don't overdue it. See how they react first. Our mare would colic on a bite of apple, so be careful and watch them for while. (I still say grass hay alone is best.)

Thanks

My horse trainer told me that horses know what is good for them and what is bad for them, if he eats it and nothing happens to him then he's fine and he can eat it, but if he refuses it might mean that he doesn't like it or he thinks it's bad for him